Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

The public forums for HPANF.

4 posters

Hogwarts Year Structure

Sev
    Sev
    1st Year
    1st Year

Hogwarts Year Structure Empty Hogwarts Year Structure

Post  Sev Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Hogwarts Year Structure

I believe there could be a Hogwarts Year Structure which actually has an effect/toll on the game and players. It motivates leveling, training and activity. After applying some logistics and small observation, I have concluded that players generally play until they have explored all avenues of the game and conquered them. So, to retain players and keep them interested, it's a 'no-brainer' that you should keep players playing and training because they want to explore more avenues that aren't available to them when they first begin the game. So, I have come up with a Hogwarts Year Structure idea.

Year 1 will obviously be when they first join the game: Level 1. Obviously, as a first year they already have limited access to books that they can gain exp from. My idea slightly elaborates on this concept to adapt to a more realistic wizarding experience:

First years have no or very little magical knowledge/abiltiy at all when they enter an ideal realistic wizarding world and also ANF. Thus, I believe they cannot assume privileges that would actually take many years of study and practice immediately. A few obvious things; first years cannot purchase brooms; (should Jace's Potions idea go through, which it should as it's an absolutely excellent idea) first years cannot purchase complex ingredients for potions nor gain advantages from potions given to them to consume which are within a certain complexity bracket; first years cannot access certain areas of Hogwarts; etc. As more features are added, more limitations can be added where necessary.

As players level and grow in to second years, third years, fourth years, fifth years and sixth years, they gain more and more access to better features. Having a personal elf, increase in access to ingredients, access to certain Hogwarts rooms, access to a library restricted section, etc. are things which they can gain. Referring to a previous point I made, this will continue to motivate their interest in the game and to increase their player strength for reasons other than power craving.

At the end of the sixth year, students graduate. Hogwarts Graduates will be allowed to do more things than students. They can of course apparate, obtain more spells/spell ability (again, if Jace's spell obtaining idea is implemented), access to more areas on the map, ability to have clan leadership and more.

However, I do have a slightly more interesting twist than just finishing on 'Hogwarts Graduate'. When graduates reach a new, more advanced level, they gain a new status; whether it's 'Sir', 'Lord', 'Mr.', 'Master', 'Doctor'; the choice is of the developers. This status grants them more abilities within the game. Perhaps it also grants other privileges and advantages.

Now, you may have noticed I left out spells throughout the entire idea. Spells requires a separate explanation. I hate the idea of "You must be Level XY to use this spell" - it's just an abomination against nature. So. Spells will grow in ability when the player does. An example could be; for 'Wingardium Leviosa', first years can only cast it on objects within a 3x3 perimeter and move it/'Wingardium it' within a 2x2 perimeter. As they grow throughout the years, their Wingardium range also increases - when they reach the highest status (the one which I left options for naming) they have unlimited range - even with possibility to Wingardium objects through Telendevour type spells. This spell idea also can also work for projectile spells - instead of just having a certain amount of 'magic' or 'strength' to determine your attacking projectile damage, your experience (i.e. what year you are in) can also be a contributing factor. Also, if I can be ambitious, perhaps the icon for the attacking projectile every other year - for example, first years can have a small and puny icon for their Incendio. 3rd years can have a slightly bigger icon. Graduates can have a standard size icon. Then, the rank above graduate could have a slightly bigger than regular icon.

You know me. You know what I'm going to say. This idea is just a template. If you (as a player or developer) want to add something to the idea to improve it or slightly alter it to make it more realistic in terms of coding, by all means comment it.

Thanks for reading, hope we can come to a compromise on this.

Sev
    Ender420
    Ender420
    1st Year
    1st Year

Hogwarts Year Structure Empty neat idea

Post  Ender420 Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:51 pm

would take quite a bit of coding but a great idea would love to play a hp game that worked like that
    Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Hogwarts Year Structure Empty Re: Hogwarts Year Structure

Post  Rotem Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 am

I don't like the year idea due to the fact it's HP based and also is limited.

Eventually I'd want to create a magical environment that allows people to explore a fudge ton of possibilities.

We could certainly have a year system where students learn and then when they graduate they explore EVERYTHING(It's a pretty big everything).

If a child decides to try test things, they can, I am not going to disallow it with code so being a first year would just indicate amount of experience in the game.
    Ranks would mainly be for reputation.

I suppose it could grant you shopping perks, that part I agree with, a first year can't really go ahead and buy deadly things anywhere.

Hmm, we can turn this idea into an achievement/rank structure where each rank/achievement unlocks certain reasonable perks.
    Anyhow, definitely an interesting idea to ponder about when we're in a more advanced stage of development.

Link
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Link Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 am

Graduates could be able to use teleportation spells in Hogwarts? That'd be something appealing about graduating!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:43 am