Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

The public forums for HPANF.

+2
Rotem
Sev
6 posters

Blocking Spell

Sev
    Sev
    1st Year
    1st Year

Blocking Spell Empty Blocking Spell

Post  Sev Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 pm

In previous games that I've played, when another player engages in combat it is usually inevitable that you must duel back or die - unless you make a crazy escape.

However, how about a blocking spell? In the books/films blocking offensive spells is a common thing. A few examples would be the DE/OOTP battle at the Department of Mysteries or Severus Snape whilst being attacked by Professor McGonagall. I believe a blocking-type spell will contribute to make the game, yet again, more 'realistic'. It also helps players who don't necessarily want to duel nor be killed.

So, this is the theory and at the end I shall give a few examples to help clarify and summarize the idea:

The blocking spell would appear directly in front of whichever direction the player is facing. It would firstly appear like a projectile - however, it would not continue to travel; instead, it would simply stop after travelling one space and 'attempt' to cancel the oncoming attacking projectile.

Whether the blocking spell would 'cancel' the oncoming attacking projectile completely would be determined by factors such as level and a stat. If my Year Structure idea is put through, all years will automatically vary in what they can cancel out. If anybody here knew the spell 'Protego' from TWC, you may be able to understand how to apply how the concept of how that spell works here - except, a barrier doesn't appear directly on your player icon but, instead, one space in front of you and as a projectile which disappears once it has hit something; and also, a certain stat determines how much you are protected.

The cost (Mana) to cast this spell would be reasonably high - something like 40 or 50 per use. This is so that the player can block an attack to either allow them to escape or to aid them slightly in a duel; however, the idea is not to use this as a 'key' tool in a duel, but instead, just as a small 'trick'.

Again, referring to my Year Structure idea, higher year's/graduate's/expert's blocking spells could also have other effects - for example, the oncoming attacking projectile wouldn't only be blocked, but it could also: send it in another direction (like Flippendo from TWC); split the attacking projectile in to 2 and send it either side of the blocking player; send the attacking projectile directly back to the caster at normal strength; send the attacking projectile directly back to the caster at 1.5x original strength (or other, the number is variable); simply absorb the projectile and potentially it's strength/characteristics. I'm sure you'll have an idea of your own which can elaborate on more advanced effects.

I was thinking that the icon wouldn't be as big as the Protego icon nor as small as the Flippendo one. I was thinking it could look like a "Flash" which took up half the icon space vertically, with the icon emitting directly from the player. The "Flash" color could be determined by their house (Green/Blue/Red/Yellow) and, later on, their clan robe color (black or grey/white) (this would only work when robed).

Examples:
    A 4th year attacks a 2nd year with a powerful attacking projectile. The 2nd year casts the blocking spell mini projectile. The attacking spell meets the blocking spell. Due to the 4th year status and strength, the majority of the attack would filter through and damage the 2nd year. However, the 2nd year would be somewhat protected as the blocking spell cancelled some of the damage the 4th year tried to do with their attacking spell.

A 5th year attacks a 6th year. The 6th year uses the blocking spell. The spell prevents the majority of attack however some still 'filters' through. The 6th year is left barely affected.

A graduate attacks an 'expert'. The expert's blocking spell splits the attacking projectile in to 2, killing the two 1st years stood east and west of the expert (or stood in the diagonal line following from the east & west points).

A 1st year attacks an 'expert'. The expert's blocking spell sends the 1st year's attacking projectile directly back at the 1st year at twice the strength and kills them.

An 'expert' attacks a graduate. The graduate's blocking spell sends the attacking projectile in another direction.

End of examples.

I think that personally this would be a great addition to the spells - it's something new and old, being somewhat a combination of Protego, Flippendo and it's own unique purpose. It's name could be Defectus (defect), Deflecto (deflect), Absterreo (deter), Obturans (blocking), Praeveni (prevent), Transvoro (absorb), Cohortis (guard), Obturatio (stop), etc. This spell would also be taught in any defensive arts classes and charms classes.

Open to collaboration/compromise on this one. Let me know what you think.

Sev

Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Blocking Spell Empty Re: Blocking Spell

Post  Rotem Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I am going to admit I didn't read it all but Skyrim has wards, I approve of a blocking spell!
    (TWC had Flippendo, totally a blocking spell)
    Link
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Link Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

TWC also had Protego, it was just rarely used. tongue
    Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Rotem Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 am

Protego was more of a shield than a blocking spell...
    You'd just get hit and it'd lower the shield's hp.

Lame spell.
    If we do blocking spell we'd have it only protect from front allowing people to use movements to get past that.
    Sev
    Sev
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Sev Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Can't wait to see some of these suggestions added!
    JoshyyyB
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  JoshyyyB Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 am

Bumping this as everyones levels on this are WHACK and students who are new need some way to defend themselves.
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

I think it would be cool if the spell had to be pressed right before a projectile hits you. Like... You hit the spell macro and the sheild will disperse after one second. Maybe less. And you coulsnt hold the spell to block everything. You'd have to tapbit each time you want to block just before the projectile lands. Any opinions?
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 pm

That sounds good as it requires the player to time the projectile right when it hits, 1 second btw might actually be a bit too much though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:17 am